[BioPython] O'REILLY bioinformatics book

Andrew Dalke dalke@acm.org
Sun, 13 May 2001 11:55:37 -0600

Sarah Kummerfeld  said:
>There is a new bioinformatics book by Cynthia Gibas & Per Jambeck
>that O'REILLY have published. Seems to start out with the bascis,
>but I still thought it might be of interest.

Yep.  Got a chance to skim through it a couple of days ago.  In
the little bit I read it seems to be a good book.  It's aimed for
biologists that want to get into bioinformatics.  Eg, it has a
section on how to use basic Unix utilities and some of the basics
of how to use perl.  It seems to have a good sense of humor as well.

It is more protein oriented than some would like, but as my
background is in protein structure, I've no problems with that.
In fact, Cynthia Gibas and I went to the same grad school and
it's interesting to see how that shared background shows up in
the book.

It does mention biopython once in the index.  The mention is on
the couple page description of bioperl and specifically in a
parenthetical reference to related packages.

Oh well - maybe next edition :)

                    Andrew
                    dalke@acm.org