[BioPython] RecordFile

Andrew Dalke dalke@acm.org
Wed, 27 Jun 2001 02:36:31 -0600

Cayte:
>> The implementation is based on a state machine. and assumes sequential
>> access

Ramu:
>subsequent call should return the next record and empty string should be
>used to mark for end of file. Something like
>
> while 1:
>   e = db.nextrecord()
>   if not e:
>     break

Hmm, and I did two different ways to do the same thing for Martel;
the current "make_iterator" method and the experimental threaded
version which turns a set of SAX callbacks into a record.

You all might want to look at two new features for Python 2.2,
"Iterators" http://python.sourceforge.net/peps/pep-0234.html and
"Simple Generators" http://python.sourceforge.net/peps/pep-0255.html

It should make it easier to use state-machine-based functions
and to read through records of a database or data file.

                    Andrew
                    dalke@acm.org