[BioPython] Plans for release 0.95d01

Thomas Sicheritz-Ponten thomas@cbs.dtu.dk
02 Feb 2001 08:14:04 +0100

Brad Chapman <chapmanb@arches.uga.edu> writes:

> Jeff:
> > it's time to roll a new release.

> > - Figure out how to deal with dependencies.  We've been accumulating
> > dependencies on external packages, i.e. Martel, mxTextTools (through
> > Martel), Numeric, and Spark.  Brad suggested writing code that will help
> > install those packages.  Are you planning on doing that for this
> > release?
>

> > 2) making
> > setup.py check for those packages, and if they don't exist, complain and
> > ask the user if they want to continue anyway.
>
> How about just writing out a warning at the end of the install?
> Attached is a modified setup.py script which does this -- what do
> people think about this plan for now, and see how it goes? If you like
> it, I can check it, or something like it, into CVS. It is pretty
> simple minded, but it might work okay.

I agree. It would be nice to be able to install a minimal biopython without
a lot of external dependencies. If a potential curious user has to
pre-install several packages before he can install biopython, than he maybe
skip it and we have lost a biopythoneer ... What I'd like to avoid is a
common feature in tcl and perl, that if you want to install a package you
need to pre-install just one package. But this package happens to depend on
3 other packages which are again depending on other things ... That will
keep a lot of people from just trying biopython.

just m2c

-thomas
--
Sicheritz-Ponten Thomas, Ph.D  CBS, Department of Biotechnology
thomas@biopython.org           The Technical University of Denmark

	De Chelonian Mobile ... The Turtle Moves ...