[BioPython] Plans for release 0.95d01

Jeffrey Chang jchang@SMI.Stanford.EDU
Wed, 31 Jan 2001 22:56:23 -0800 (PST)

Hello everyone,

We've been accumulating a lot of good stuff (thanks to the work of Brad,
Andrew, and Cayte), so it's time to roll a new release.  This release will
break some old code, so we need to move the version number up more than
just one "d" build, hence 0.95d01.

Stuff left to do:

- fix br_regrtest?  Andrew, do you have some time to make the fix to
br_regrtest so it's newline convention agnostic?  We have developers
working on different platforms, and br_regrtest probably shouldn't
complain when the current newlines are different from the ones the golden
output were generated from.

- Figure out how to deal with dependencies.  We've been accumulating
dependencies on external packages, i.e. Martel, mxTextTools (through
Martel), Numeric, and Spark.  Brad suggested writing code that will help
install those packages.  Are you planning on doing that for this release?
If not, I propose 1) adding Spark since it's only 1 file, and 2) making
setup.py check for those packages, and if they don't exist, complain and
ask the user if they want to continue anyway.

- Brad, let me know when your GenBank stuff is stable.

- Cayte, let me know when your UniGene stuff is stable.

- Peter, do you want to put your Fasta parsing stuff into this release, or
the next?

- Make sure regression tests pass!

- Package in documentation.  Brad had it ready to go last time, but I
forgot it.  Bad me!

This looks like it'll be a good release!

Jeff