[BioPython] Generating Figures in Python

Brad Chapman chapmanb@arches.uga.edu
Mon, 16 Apr 2001 00:49:45 -0400

me:
> > This past week I've been writing code to help me generate
> > figures for some exploratory research I've been doing. Using the really
> > excellent reportlab distribution (http://www.reportlab.com), I've
> > already been generating some pretty nice pdf output.

Andy:
> Brad and others, this was forwarded to my by Dinu Gherman.
> We're very happy to see ReportLab is of use.

Definately, ReportLab is very nice -- the docs make it very easy to
get into, and it produces great output. Only took me a weekend to go
from not knowing anything to producing something nice.

> I just wanted to check you are aware of our emerging
> "graphics" subpackage

Yup, I actually started with the "standard" stuff then moved the code
to use the stuff in the graphics subpackage on the second
revision. It was a pretty easy transition, since I already sort of had
things organized into "Widgets" -- the only thing I missed having was
a way to make arcs.

> The core idea is a standard for reusable graphical
> widgets.  I imagine that you could define some standard
> 'biowidgets' as part of your project, and people could
> then use them easily to build up more complex drawings.

That was exactly what I was hoping for -- you are doing a good job of
reading my mind :-).

For biopython people -- it seems like there at least a couple of votes for
including this stuff in the package, and no votes against, so I'd like
to move it over. I already have tests and everything, and will write
some docs before moving it -- does Bio.Graphics sound like a good
place for it? This is as opposed to something like Bio.GUI, which I
imagine would be more widgets for Tk or Gtk or whatever. Sound okay?
Other suggestions?

> If possible, we'd love to include some of your output
> samples on our site and link to it in due course,
> and are happy to answer questions on the
> reportlab-users list.

Sure, that would be super. I'm hoping that some people more
artistically inclined than I will pick up on this and help me produce
nicer widgets. I got a C in the last art class I took, so I figure
anyone can improve on what I've done :-)

> Keep up the great work!

Thanks for the comments!
Brad