[BioPython] Substitution matrices

Jeffrey Chang jchang@SMI.Stanford.EDU
Sat, 30 Sep 2000 10:00:27 -0700 (PDT)

> o  Can I parse the standalone blastpgp output directly from an output
>    file which is the result from a run _not_ via biopython? Code example?

Yes.  I'll bet that the majority of the output that has been parsed with
the parser was not generated by biopython.  Anyways, biopython provides a
very simple interface to blastpgp that just passes its parameters through,
without doing anything fancy with the output.

A warning, though...  The parser is pretty strict, and rejects anything
that's not from the standard psiblast!  :)

Here's a snippet of code that parses output from the 'bt009' blast test.

>>> from Bio.Blast import NCBIStandalone
>>> parser = NCBIStandalone.PSIBlastParser()
>>> rec = parser.parse(open('bt009'))
>>> print rec.converged
1
>>> print len(rec.rounds)