[BioPython] (fwd) Python module for DNA to amino acid and reversecomplement translation.

Ewan Birney birney@ebi.ac.uk
Mon, 25 Sep 2000 09:16:57 +0100 (BST)

C Extension stuff.

Over in Esnembl, I had to write some Perl C extensions for performance.
Using Pelr's run time loading system, I managed to have this "dissappear"
from the user: ie, the system attempt to load in the C extensions: if
there were there, it used them by default. If not, iin fell back on perl.
The user was given ultimate control (forcing  perl use if necessary).

My suggestion would be to package up the C code as a separate package, but
have this "run time loader" system built into the main package. This
should be doable withn python.

Reminds me of the web team's request for optimisation of the ensembl
object layer. They wanted to have the method call:

	$database->go_faster(1);

to work ;)

<birney@ebi.ac.uk>.