[BioPython] New Python versions

Andrew Dalke dalke@acm.org
Thu, 7 Sep 2000 13:52:17 -0600

Johann Visagie <johann@egenetics.com>:
>I don't regularly read every single posting on c.l.py - maybe there's been
>some suggestions there already?  (Scanning it now...)

The semi-official recommendation is to use Python 1.5.2 until 2.0 comes
out.  The only reason to switch to 1.6 during the next month or two
is if you must have unicode or one of the new modules.

>(Why the sudden release of 2.0b1 on the heels of a final 1.6?  Was it to
>overcome the licensing issues pertaining to 1.6?)

Guido said that he would help CNRI to get the 1.6 version out, which is
why 1.6 is sometimes called the "Contractual Obligation" release.  The
2.0 is the BeOpen release of Python.  It doesn't so much reflect
licensing differences as it does change of intellectual mindshare and
control.

                    Andrew
                    dalke@acm.org