[BioPython] New Python versions

Johann Visagie johann@egenetics.com
Thu, 7 Sep 2000 12:46:34 +0200

Jeffrey Chang on 2000-09-06 (Wed) at 09:39:56 -0700:

> I noticed that Python 2.0 uses distutils 0.9.2, which seems to handle
> extension modules in a way that breaks the setup.py file.

We had an internal discussion here yesterday as to which Python version we'll
be devleloping on in the immediate future.  Maybe Biopython should have such
a discussion as well.

After a long time of 1.5.2 stability it seems that things are now thoroughly
skewed.  With code breakage from 1.5.2 to 1.6, and from 1.6 to 2.0b it
becomes a real problem.  Having *three* versions just makes things worse!

I don't regularly read every single posting on c.l.py - maybe there's been
some suggestions there already?  (Scanning it now...)

(Why the sudden release of 2.0b1 on the heels of a final 1.6?  Was it to
overcome the licensing issues pertaining to 1.6?)

-- Johann