[BioPython] Phylogenetics trees

Johann Visagie johann@egenetics.com
Fri, 1 Sep 2000 10:46:47 +0200

Jeffrey Chang on 2000-08-31 (Thu) at 15:28:59 -0700:

> Has anyone looked at the new python license yet?  They've been working
> with FSF and Stallman to make one that's compatible with GPL.  Last I
> checked, they were trying to work out one last sticking point.
>
> Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with the terms of that license.  If anyone
> knows anything about it, and whether or not it would be a *good thing* for
> biopython, please let us know!

There was a long discussion re the new licence on the ActivePython mailing
list.  Basically they are adopting the new licence because they have to, not
because the want to.  I don't think that there is therefore any need for a
project like Biopython to think of changing.

Fortunately, it doesn't seem as if the new licence would cause a
substantially different environment for the Python user or developer, even
though it is much longer than the old one.

The most informative document about the new licence is the FAQ on the Python
site itself:

  http://www.python.org/1.6/license_faq.html

BTW, I also believe that the new licence will only apply to 1.6.x releases.

-- Johann