[BioPython] script for clustal alignment format

Jeffrey Chang jchang@SMI.Stanford.EDU
Tue, 24 Oct 2000 11:24:00 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 24 Oct 2000, Iddo Friedberg wrote:

> http://starship.python.net/crew/lemburg/mxTextTools.html
>
> for TextTools (seems to be down for now).

Yes, Starship doesn't seem to be a completely reliable resource, and I've
had the exact same problem trying to get mxTextTools.  Since Biopython may
become increasingly reliant upon Martel and thus mxTT, we may need to
figure out a way to make it easier to obtain.

Andrew, how do you feel about bundling mxTT with Martel/Biopython?  I'll
bet there's not a lot of overlap between mxTT and Biopython users (we
should probably not reinstall mxTT if it already exists), mxTT is pretty
small, we'd simplify the install process, and we'd be insulated from
incompatible versions in mxTT.  Do you know how stable mxTT is?

It'd be more work, though, and would increase the size of Biopython.

Also, when should we add Martel to the Biopython distribution?  I'm
planning on making one more release soon, and we could work on integration
after that.

Jeff