[BioPython] Re: Developing GNOME Applications with Gnome-Python

J.W. Bizzaro bizzaro@geoserve.net
Fri, 26 May 2000 11:52:54 +0000

--------------94A5C3ABF3B7D24463D66000

Sender: avgelder
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 09:13:18 +0200
From: Antoine van Gelder <antoine@egenetics.com>
To: "J.W. Bizzaro" <bizzaro@geoserve.net>
Subject: Re: [BioPython] Developing GNOME Applications with Gnome-Python

"J.W. Bizzaro" wrote:
> There is also wxPython, but I don't have experience
> with it.

<delurk>

wxPython pros:

 * Rapid development, I was able to write a simple flowcharting
   application in the space of an afternoon without ever having
   used it before.

 * Better documentation than Python/GTK.

 * VERY mature class library drawing on many years of wxWindows
   development. Model/View, Printing, Event handling, Resource
   management, Database,IPC, Drag and drop, Network classes,
   Internationalisation etc.

 * Cross-platform - most Unices (GTK and Motif supported), Windows, soon
Mac and BeOs.

 * Native widget support, windows or mac installations won't require
installation
   of GTK or whatever.

 * FAST.

 * Identical API to C++ wxWindows making it easier to rewrite speed
critical
   portions in C++.

 * The Object Graphics Library (OGL) supporting the creation and
manipulation of
   simple and complex graphic images on a canvas. Better than tkinter
YesYesYesYES ! ;>

 * Tons of sample code available.

 * Active, wellfunded development team.

wxPython cons:

  * Requires installation of wxPython rpm which is not standard to any
of
    the Linux distributions afaik.

</delurk>

 - antoine