[BioPython] Developing GNOME Applications with Gnome-Python

J.W. Bizzaro bizzaro@geoserve.net
Fri, 26 May 2000 01:46:38 +0000

Cayte wrote:

>    Does Gnome have a Windows distribution?  Machine independence may be an
> issue.  If we go with gnome I may have to get going with my linux double
> boot installation.:)

Gnome is a desktop system based on C/Gtk (a GNU widget set), among other
things.  There are successful ports of C/Gtk to Windows, BeOS and I think OS/2
(not to mention every Unix flavor).  Python/Gtk for Windows also exists.

I'm not so sure about Gnome on Windows.  Windows of course has its own
desktop, so there may not be much interest in doing the port.

If platform independence is important, go with vanilla Gtk and not Gnome.
Python/Tkinter is still more ubiquitous, but it is slower than Python/Gtk and
hoplessly tied to Tcl/Tk.  There is also wxPython, but I don't have experience
with it.

Cheers.
Jeff
--