[BioPython] Updates to the source tree

Andrew Dalke dalke@acm.org
Tue, 2 May 2000 02:42:06 -0600

Brad:
>> from Biocorba.Bio.Seq import Seq

[or]
>> from Bio.Biocorba.Seq import Seq

I argue for the former.

There will be other sequence-like interfaces which work with biopython.
Eg, something talking AceDB, or SRS, or OMG's CORBA definitions, or a
web-based interface to NCBR.  Where should they go?  They can't all be
part of the core distribution.

OTOH, a limited number of interfaces can go there, which is why I am
not against tighter integration, only arguing against it.

What advantage would closer integration have?  One fewer package to
download and install.  Who would those people be?  Would they have
access to a CORBA server anyway (say, one at EBI)?  In that case,
they can be up and running right away, which is a good thing.

But if most people need to install a CORBA server to get things working,
then an extra download/install shouldn't be a problem.

I suspect the latter, which supports my argument for

from Biocorba import ...

                    Andrew
                    dalke@acm.org