[BioPython] Updates to the source tree

Jeffrey Chang jchang@SMI.Stanford.EDU
Sun, 30 Apr 2000 18:13:27 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Everyone,

There have been a lot of work done on the CVS tree over the last week.
I've integrated Andrew's Seq package as well as Cayte's UnitTests.
Andrew and Cayte, please start working directly against the tree!

Because of the overlap in functionality, Bio/Sequence.py is being
deprecated in favor of Bio/Seq.py.  Code that uses Sequence.py (including
Brad's biopython-corba stuff) will need to migrate over to the new
module.  Sequence.py will be removed from the tree before we do an alpha
release, which will probably be in a few months.

I've added in support for distutils.  It is now possible to create source
and binary distributions for people without access to CVS.  Expect that to
happen soon, after all authors get their code in a somewhat runnable
state.  I imagine we will probably use distutils to distribute the
biopython package once it's ready for release, unless someone wants to
muck around with configure and Makefiles!

Jeff