[BioPython] wxpython prototype

Cayte katel@worldpath.net
Fri, 9 Jun 2000 00:47:12 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: Jeffrey Chang <jchang@SMI.Stanford.EDU>
To: Cayte <katel@worldpath.net>
Cc: <biopython@biopython.org>
Sent: Wednesday, June 07, 2000 10:03 PM
Subject: Re: [BioPython] wxpython prototype

> I like SeqGuiAlt.py better.  The interface seems more consistent with
> other programs.  In addition, it'll be easier to add transformations
> without ending up with buttons up the wazoo.

  Eventually, I'd also like to add filters, for example, to print all
hydrophobic amino acids in green or sulfter containing amino acids in
purple.  I'd like to know Andrews' objections to a tabbed options dialog.
Throwing too many options at a novice user can cause confusion and the
options dialog hides the confusion.  In The
Inmates are Running the Asylum, Alan Cooper describes an alarm clock with so
many options, no one could figure out how to use it!

> I've created a new directory
> biopython/Scripts/SeqGui/
>
> and checked SeqGuiAlt.py in there as SeqGui.py.  Please start working
> against this copy!

   It woud be convenient to have Transcribe.py, and Translate.py in a
package.  Especially in Windows, packages make it easier to import.

                                           Cayte