[BioPython] plans for next release

Thomas Sicheritz-Ponten thomas@cbs.dtu.dk
02 Dec 2000 13:26:57 +0100

> > Jeff:
> > > >

> > Cayte:
> > >    I'm not sure its supported on Windows.  The web description mentioned
> > > Linux but didn't mention Windows.  It imports posix.
> >
> > Hi Cayte -- I just looked at this using my little bit of Windows/python
> > knowledge. It looks like Thomas is importing posix/posixpath in all of
> > the different modules in xbbtools, but never actually using them. I
> > commented out all of the imports, installed Pmw, and xbbtools seems to
> > run okay on the machine I was playing on (vanilla Windows 98).
> >
> > I'm not sure if there is a good reason to import the posix stuff
> > (Thomas?) but maybe if not, it might be good to get rid of the imports
> > so it'll run nicely on Windows as well.
> >
>   I ran it and it displayed a Fasta file.  But when I selected
> Translations->6 Frames, it caused this trace.
>
> C:\biopython-0.90d04\Scripts\xbbtools>python xbbtools.py lupine.nu
> Exception in Tkinter callback
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "c:\python20\lib\lib-tk\Tkinter.py", line 1287, in __call__
>     return apply(self.func, args)
>   File ".\xbb_widget.py", line 333, in gcframe
>     np = NotePad()
>   File ".\xbb_utils.py", line 24, in __init__
>     self.tid = Pmw.ScrolledText(self)
> AttributeError: ScrolledText
>
>   The menu items barely show up, because in Windows, they're xdark green on
> black, unless thry're highlighted.
>
>   It would be efficient to coordinate different GUIs if its feasable?  On
> the other hand, if I experiment, I don't want to mess up someone elses'
> code.

Ok - I just came back from egypt. Of course there is no need at all for
using posix.posixpath - thats still left from my novice days :-)
I fix that and try to remove all Pmw widgets (its easy to implement the
scrolled things in pure Tk)

I do not run python in windows, so could anybody send me correct color
configurations for windows ?
I have not worked on xbbtools for a time because of the question about how
to start one or more blast searches (threaded ?) without freezing the whole
Tk mainloop until the blast run is finished. To start a search (Blast,Fasta
Clustal etc) from within biopython is definitely a frequent task for which
there should exist a seperate module/class ... IMHO

c ya
-thomas

--
Sicheritz Ponten Thomas E.  CBS, Department of Biotechnology
thomas@biopython.org        The Technical University of Denmark

	De Chelonian Mobile ... The Turtle Moves ...