[BioPython] The biopython.org web site

Johann Visagie johann@egenetics.com
Tue, 29 Aug 2000 16:32:47 +0200

Chris Dagdigian on 2000-08-29 (Tue) at 10:08:15 -0400:

> There is already one python package (mailman) that has spread
> across all of the bio*.org sites :) so I have no problem with Zope
> as long as it plays nicely with our other installed stuff.

Zope is highly independent of the rest of the system, to the point where a
Zope installation can be moved with relative ease (trivial ease in many
cases) from a Unix to a Windows machine.  Zope doesn't interfere with the
platform;  Zope _is_ the platform.  ;-)

> Be aware that Jason has already installed Wiki for the biocorba
> site and there has been some talk about trying to Wiki-enable all
> of our documentation sites. I'm not sure how your Zope plans fit in
> with all of this.

Hmm, I really only suggested Zopefying the Biopython site since I thought
Zope may have much to offer a Python project in the long run (cf. my earlier
comments re "web widgets").  A possible integration of the Bio* sites changes
the landscape - I'm therefore waiting for the dust to settle.

That said, Zope is a good platform for deploying big co-operative sites.
E.g., instead of installing some arbitrary CGI-based standalone Wiki clone,
the Zope-based ZWiki integrates well with the entire Zope infrastructure.
Every ZWiki page is a Zope object, and it not only interacts well with
objects provided by other Zope products (e.g. use ZCatalog to index your
ZWiki site) but it also allows for almost unlimited modification by a Zope
developer.  The entire Zope management interface is, after all, written in
Zope.  Many Zope packages (like ZWiki) merely subclass existing Zope objects
and give them some new functionality.  And as I said, even Mailman (which you
mentioned) may become integrated into Zope, see:
  http://www.zope.org//Members/mindlace/MailZopeMan/FrontPage

Quotes from the wiki page at that URL:

 "EditThis flag -- with the proper formatting, the email becomes a wiki page
  in the archive that can be edited via email or the web."

... which is a nice example of just how integrated things can become.

-- Johann