[BioPython] Lisp in bioinformatics(!)

Andrew Dalke dalke@acm.org
Mon, 21 Aug 2000 12:26:36 -0600

Cayte:
>  As an ultimate goal, I think we should aim for integrated package, with
each
>language doing what it does best and not a patchwork quilt.

Sure.  I'm wondering what people are doing with Lisp and why they think
Lisp is appropriate.  I'm also wondering if anyone knows of (say) a
BioLisp site with related work, so there can be better sharing of ideas
across the different languages.

For example, one of the Prolog places was Klotho, from Wash. U.
(http://www.ibc.wustl.edu/klotho/).  That's an appropriate language
because they use Prolog delarations to build up larger structures
from smaller ones.  Knowing why they chose Prolog helps figuring out
how Python or other languages can/should/shouldn't model the same thing.

                    Andrew