[BioPython] what should I do next?

Brad Chapman chapmanb@arches.uga.edu
Wed, 12 Apr 2000 03:58:01 -0400

Cayte wrote:
>   If you tell me where your files are, I can write test cases.

All of the corba stuff is being kept in cvs in the biopython-corba
module. Right now there is nothing much useful there, just some
skeleton code, but I am trying to rectify that now, and also improve
the code. But I'll keep that module up to date on what I have.
    As far as test cases go, that would be really spectacular. I'm
going to try and follow Ewan's suggestion of making a client corba
interface that models the actual Biopython interface, so hopefully
most of the test code for Biopython should be able to be used for the
corba interface (provided the functions are implemented in Biocorba
:), with just a change in the import:

Biopython: From Bio.Whatever import Whatever
Biopython-corba: From Biocorba.Bio.Whatever import Whatever

At least, this is my plan :-)

> From what
> I've seen of open source efforts, nobody "drives" them.  People
contribute
> in a bursty way, when they have the time and motivation.

All too true... Time seems to be the critical factor (at least for
me). Everything has to work around my daytime responsiblities, since
no one wants to pay us to do this :-)

Brad