[BioPython] what should I do next?

Andrew Dalke dalke@acm.org
Tue, 11 Apr 2000 15:15:48 -0600

Hello,

  I was wondering who here might be using Python for bioinformatics
soon.  I ask because I've been working on the code I proposed to
be part of the biopython core, and I really would like to work with
people using it so I can see what needs to be changed and improved.

  If there are people who need this sort of code, I would also like
to know more about specific needs.  I'm doing this partially as
a hobby now, which makes it hard to focus on specific requirements
since I don't have good use cases.  Also, my background is
structural biology/modeling, so I don't know what sequence people
really want.

  That is, what should I work on next?  I have framework for all
sorts of sequence analysis tools, there's some existing parsing
code of Jeff's, there's the parsing framework we talked about last
year, there's the development of a generic sequence record class,
there's the corba interface.  There's a lot of possibilities, but
which are most useful?

  I'm also doing this in hope of real employment as a contractor,
so if anyone wants to pay me for this, please contact me :)

                    Andrew
                    dalke@acm.org