[BioPython] Tkinter

Jeffrey Chang jchang@SMI.Stanford.EDU
Sun, 3 Oct 1999 22:31:15 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 3 Oct 1999, Kate wrote:

>    We could use Tkinter to create a GUI for biopython.  Is this worth
> exploring?

Hmmm, I had always thought of biopython as having more of a focus on
infrastructure work, but there's nothing that would preclude someone from
doing GUI work, if they desired.

Tkinter would be the easiest option, since it's included in the standard
python distribution.  There are other options as well, as people (ahem)
kindly point out once in a while on comp.lang.python.

Also, I should mention that there are some open source projects working on
GUI's for bioinformatics.  The Open Lab (http://theopenlab.uml.edu/) has
some work going on developing GUI's with Python.  In addition, with
JPython, we can also include the various Java bioinformatics projects,
such as the Biowidgets Consortium.  However, the www.biowidgets.org server
seems to have gone down.  Does anyone from Jackson Labs know the status of
the project?

Another intriguing possibility would be to work through the CORBA
interface that Ewan's been working out.  That way, bioperl and biopython
could share a GUI.  But I'm getting ahead of myself...

Jeff