[Biopython-dev] Pure-Python implementations of C code

Michiel de Hoon mjldehoon at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 27 05:47:19 UTC 2017

Dear all,
In the past, we had pure-Python versions of C code for users of Jython and IronPython.For example, Bio.motifs.matrix.py uses the code in _pwm.c if available, but has a fallback implementation in pure Python if the _pwm module is not found.Now that we require a C compiler to build Biopython from source, do we still need such pure-Python implementations?(In particular for new code, but we can also clean up existing code if the pure-Python implementations are no longer needed).
Best,-Michiel