[Biopython-dev] Adding overall coverage to blast-xml

John T jaytee00 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 11 16:40:00 UTC 2017

Hi all,

I've written a script that calculates the overall coverage for all HSP in
an alignment, like that given on the BLAST homepage. Would it make sense to
add this to Bio.Blast.Record.Alignment (and/or the BlastIO equivalent)?
It's not something that's explicitly defined in the XML and so may be out
of scope, but it is something that's given in the website version of BLAST
results so people might reasonably expect it to be there. I'd add it as a
@property so it as only calculated when required.

I've never tried contributing to an open source project before so I didn't
want to dive in and do something stupid.

Cheers,
John