[Biopython-dev] Subclassing Seq objects from a string

Michiel de Hoon mjldehoon at yahoo.com
Tue May 23 01:32:07 UTC 2017

Dear all,

Ten years ago we talked about subclassing Seq objects from a string:
[BioPython] Making the Seq object act more like a string

|   |
[BioPython] Making the Seq object act more like a string
   |  |

Can we move forward?As the Seq documentation says, a Seq object is essentially a string with an alphabet.Then, following the object oriented programming paradigm, Seq objects should inherit from a string object.
This would help with C extensions that take Seq or string objects as arguments (as both can then be treated as strings).
Best,-Michiel