[Biopython-dev] Ideas for Biopython 2.0

Tiago Antão tiagoantao at gmail.com
Fri Jun 23 20:19:27 UTC 2017

Hi,

> 5. Type hinting, which can be helpful as the codebase gets large.

<https://github.com/tiagoantao/>

Yes, yes, yes! This was one the things I was going to purpose. I think it
really helps the maintenance of a large code base as you say. We just have
to be careful because AFAIK that Python feature is still partially
experimental, but if and when Biopython 2 goes forward it should have
stabilized (especially because Guido seems to be working a lot on mypy).

Also language lazyness is also great (i.e. returning generators instead of
evaluating immediately). This is fundamental with lots of data.

For me the most important discussion (even more than package structure) is
the extensible module system. I do not have mature opinions to offer on
both subjects (only that I think something like biogems would be great).

Tiago