[Biopython-dev] Ideas for Biopython 2.0

Tiago Antão tiagoantao at gmail.com
Wed Jun 21 17:57:38 UTC 2017

On 21 June 2017 at 08:23, Iddo Friedberg <idoerg at gmail.com> wrote:

> Caught between a rock and a hard place on this one. I don't have a good
> solution, I'm afraid. Just that we have to be mindful of the consequences
> of what we do, and understand the environment we are operating in, and who
> the biopython users are.

I do not think the metaphor holds: Biopython 1 is not going to disappear.
If there is legacy code, it can use Biopython 1. Also support for Python 2
will stop on 2020 anyway and we are about to sign the Python 3 statement,
so in practice is this not a settled discussion, or was it not clear the
consequences of this?
Given the lack of resources maintaining two versions is yet more burden

> Actually, now that I think about it, maybe a user survey would help test
> the waters?

<https://github.com/tiagoantao/>

I am afraid that a user survey will be representing a very small part of
users. Like 99% will not participate (actually 99% will probably not even
know that the survey is ongoing). I think it makes more sense for this to
be settled here on the mailing list. Especially because the most important
issue is motivation of the people that are going to implement this.