[Biopython-dev] Thoughts on NN module

Adil Iqbal aiqbal85 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 7 16:18:48 UTC 2017

Hey guys,

I wanted to try and save the machine learning module somehow, but based on
the *varied applications of machine learning
<https://academic.oup.com/bib/article/doi/10.1093/bib/bbk007/264025/Machine-learning-in-bioinformatics>*
in bioinformatics, really the best package to use is *scikit-learn
<http://scikit-learn.org/stable/>*. It covers everything from Bayesian
networks, hierarchical clustering, decision trees, etc.

I suppose biopython could offer pre-built, easily modified networks for the
most common use-cases, that is, protein folding and gene pattern
recognition. Though we would need to use scikit-learn (or other machine
learning package) as a dependency.

Another option would be to scrap the machine learning suite and focus more
on data management.

Best,
Adil