[Biopython-dev] Using NumPy/SciPy/scikit-learn approach to building wheels

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Tue Jul 18 13:29:52 UTC 2017

Perfect, thank you Markus.

With the assistance of a colleague we could test the 32-bit
Python 2.7 and 3.6 wheels.

The hardest part was finding pip in order to run the command.

For Python 2.7 we first had to upgrade Python as the early
point releases did not include it (this is simpler than
bootstrapping a pip installation), then it was available as:

C:\Python27\Scripts\pip

(Optionally including the .exe extension).

For Python 3.6, it seems the default installation folder was
a per-user app-data folder which is harder to describe...

In neither case was pip on the path - so we're going to have
to give slightly more guidance for Windows installation from
a wheel.

My colleague is of the view that continuing to offer EXE or MSI
installers does significantly lower the barrier of entry - although
as far as I can tell this would limit you to NumPy 1.10.2 (from
December 2015):

https://sourceforge.net/projects/numpy/files/NumPy/1.10.2/

For now I will get the wheels uploaded to PyPI...

Thanks all,

Peter