[Biopython-dev] Biopython 1.69 plans - late January / early February?

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 25 14:51:54 UTC 2017

On Thu, Jan 19, 2017 at 2:36 PM, Peter Cock <p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I had hoped to make time for this before Christmas,
> but it didn't happen. Anyway, I would like to us to do
> the next Biopython release soon - we have lots of
> contributions waiting for wider use:
>
> https://github.com/biopython/biopython/blob/master/NEWS
>
> Ben: are you and your Windows machine available
> and willing to prepare Windows installers again
> (*.exe and *.msi as before) in the next couple of
> weeks?
>
> [My own ancient Windows XP machine is due to be
> replaced with a newer version of Windows on a VM,
> which will take time to get setup for development.]

We can always do the release and upload the compiled
Windows installers later.

> Everyone else: Is there anything critical that needs
> fixing/merging? I've tried to keep on top of the pull
> requests while away but there are bound to be some
> which have been overlooked. If so, please comment
> on them to request review or merging.

I'm hoping we can include the MAF indexing work
started by Andrew Sczesnak back in 2011 - extra eyes
on this recently updated pull request from Blaise Li
(BCC'd along with co-contributor Adam Novak) would
be great:

https://github.com/biopython/biopython/pull/504

> The release procedure remains somewhat manual,
> despite getting more checks included with TravisCI.
> I think http://biopython.org/wiki/Building_a_release
> includes most of the changes due to the new GitHub
> Pages based website, but I suspect going though
> this again will lead to further clarifications.
>
> If anyone would like to try a test run of the release
> process, and report any issues that would be great.
> The epydoc step in particular has historically often
> caught import problems and/or RST formatting issues.
>
> Also building the zip/tar-ball and installing it often
> catches files missing from the manifest. That's
> something we might be able to tweak the TravisCI
> setup to do in future. Any volunteers?

Is it worth starting the BSD dual licensing with this
release, i.e. merging this pull request?

https://github.com/biopython/biopython/pull/904