[Biopython-dev] Planning to drop Python 2 support by 2020?

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 10 16:06:29 UTC 2017

Dear Biopythoneers,

With the recent release of Biopython 1.69 we have dropped
support for Python 2.6, and target Python 2.7 and Python 3.3
onwards.

The Python team will continue to support Python 2.7 in the
medium term, but currently plan to stop support in 2020.
This seems a sensible upper limit for how long Biopython
continues to support Python 2.7.

Furthermore, NumPy (which a lot of our code depends on) and
other high profile relevant projects also intend to drop their
Python 2.7 support by 2020 as advertised on this campaign
site: http://www.python3statement.org/

Does anyone object to adopting this goal for Biopython, and
adding the project to http://www.python3statement.org/ ?

Please reply to the mail discussion list and/or the developers
list (the announcement mailing list will not accept any replies).

(I've raised this on the Biopython developers mailing list before
Christmas and last with no objections)

Thank you,