[Biopython-dev] [Biopython] Intel Python distribution

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 1 10:30:59 UTC 2016

Hi Don,

Biopython covers so many topics that everyone using it probably
has a different bottleneck. I tend to do basic sequence manipulations
where disk IO is the main bottleneck - although often problems
in this area are more on the end user script (e.g. taking advantage
of Python sets rather than lists for membership checking).

I do know that the old Bio.pairwise2 code was performing poorly
on larger sequences (this has a C backend), but that has been
improved with a rewrite in our latest release, Biopython 1.68.

Hopefully some of our community will volunteer to talk about
where they think Biopython needs some optimisation?

Regards,

Peter