[Biopython-dev] Changing run_tests.py (Galaxy package inspired)

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Wed May 11 15:51:30 UTC 2016

On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 4:36 PM, Tiago Rodrigues Antao <tra at popgen.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> For simplicity I am including Python libraries as dependencies. I do not see
> a use case for separation, or is there?

There is a use case.

We have two exceptions here, MissingExternalDependencyError
is the base class used for external applications etc, while subclass
MissingPythonDependencyError also subclasses ImportError - so
that you can catch it with:

try:
    from Bio import XXX
except ImportError:
    print("Sad face")

Then in run_tests.py we look for MissingExternalDependencyError
(and its subclasses) as things that we will skip with a warning.