[Biopython-dev] Testing Biopython 1.67 wheels for Windows?

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Thu Jun 23 16:10:16 UTC 2016

Hello all,

Re: http://lists.open-bio.org/pipermail/biopython-dev/2016-June/021446.html
and http://lists.open-bio.org/pipermail/biopython-dev/2016-June/021447.html

After updating/installing pip, setuptools, wheel, and numpy
using the following I was able to build some 32bit Windows
precompiled wheels for Biopython 1.67,

# ensure get a clean package
rm -rf build

# using the tag from the release
git checkout biopython-167

# We need this update to enable the bdist_wheel command:
git cherry-pick 489d200406c3e6e9e4f14e68ac6f48bd4095b7c6

# Make the wheels
C:\Python27\python setup.py bdist_wheel
C:\Python34\python setup.py bdist_wheel

I could now try pushing these up to PyPI (with twine), see:

https://github.com/biopython/biopython.github.io/commit/7bd4f6ac275195a4eda573f1afe859815d8e6009

However, I think it would be wiser to get an independent test first -
any volunteers? I could share the files by email or dropbox, and
if they seem to work then next I would suggest we put them on
our website via https://github.com/biopython/DIST before PyPI.

Note these were build using numpy 1.11.0 binary wheels, so it
would be interesting to test them against other ways of installing
numpy like the Windows installers - will that be compatible not?

Any volunteers with a 32 bit Windows machine? You'd install
the wheel with:

C:\Python27\Scripts\pip install biopython-1.67-cp27-cp27m-win32.whl

or:

C:\Python34\Scripts\pip install biopython-1.67-cp34-cp24m-win32.whl