[Biopython-dev] Adopting BSD 3-Clause license for Biopython?

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Tue Jul 26 09:43:58 UTC 2016

On Mon, Jul 25, 2016 at 6:45 PM, Peter Cock <p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 25, 2016 at 6:40 PM, Peter Cock <p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> Chatting with Christian in Orlando and the discussions for the
>> BOSC 2016 talk he gave for the Biopython Project Updates
>> reminded me about this long running licensing issue.
>>
>> I have opened a GitHub issue on this, and how I think we need
>> to move forward (includes links to older parts of this thread):
>>
>> https://github.com/biopython/biopython/issues/898
>>
>> I have tried contacting the OSI via their online form, but suspect
>> this is not something they can help with directly:
>>
>> https://opensource.org/contact
>
> Auto reply suggesting:
>
>>> If the FAQ does not answer your question, please contact
>>> license-discuss at opensource.org. (Note that messages
>>> sent to this address will be viewed and answered by the
>>> public at large.)
>
> That's probably worth a try tomorrow...

In the mean time, we've made contact with the Software Freedom
Law Centre (SFLC, http://softwarefreedom.org) via Software in
the Public Interest, Inc. (SPI, http://spi-inc.org) which is the
umbrella organisation the Open Bioinformatics Foundation
(OBF) is part of for holding our financial assets.

Thanks,