[Biopython-dev] Sensible GitHub Issue Labels

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Mon Jul 25 14:35:42 UTC 2016

On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 8:16 PM, Travis Wrightsman <twrig002 at ucr.edu> wrote:
> All the suggestions sound good to me.

What have I missed?

 - Style - including PEP8 and PEP257 compliance
 - Testing - including improving code coverage
 - Documentation - improving docstrings, Tutorial, etc
 - Enhancement - adding new functionality
 - Bug - problems with existing functionality
 - Easy Fix - something new-comer friendly

Possible extras:

 - WIP - work in progress?

These can be combined, e.g. "Easy Fix" and "Enhancement"
for something like updating the codon tables next time the
NCBI adds another genetic code.

As far as I can tell, there is nothing in the issue tracker
UI to add a description to the labels, so it will have to go
in our contributor text.

There is an obstacle though - it looks like in order to assign
labels, you need write permissions - at least based on:

https://help.github.com/articles/repository-permission-levels-for-an-organization/

However, we can mitigate the risks of an accident on the
master branch using the branch protection settings
(e.g. "Restrict who can push to this branch" set to
the current pool of committers for the master branch)?