[Biopython-dev] [Biopython] Switching to PEP440 compliant versioning for our development code

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 21 14:50:55 UTC 2016

On Fri, Jun 24, 2016 at 3:44 PM, Peter Cock <p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 24, 2016 at 3:10 PM, Peter Cock <p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com> wrote:
>>
>> In support of Eric's suggestion, changing "<current_version>+"
>> to use "<next_version>.dev" avoids the PEP440 warning if building
>> a wheel during development but gives "<next_version>.dev0" in
>> the wheel filename, e.g.:
>>
>> dist/biopython-1.68.dev0-cp27-cp27m-win32.whl
>> dist/biopython-1.68.dev0-cp34-cp34m-win32.whl
>>
>> However, we don't plan to ever circulate development wheels
>> (other perhaps to specific users to help with testing bug fixes
>> or to debug something).
>>
>> Peter
>
> Correction - there's a different warning, also seen with
> "python setup.py build",
>
> .../site-packages/setuptools/dist.py:285: UserWarning: Normalizing
> '1.68.dev' to '1.68.dev0'
>
> Peter

This has been at the back of my mind for a couple of weeks now,
Eric's suggestion seems worth applying - changed to use .dev0 as
of this commit:

https://github.com/biopython/biopython/commit/70df33c365bedd5ecdb5f620e284352c6116e274

Release process updated to match:

https://github.com/biopython/biopython.github.io/commit/84c9fe32b1a70346a729a412bf7f67380f15d938