[Biopython-dev] Contributing to Biopython.org via GitHub

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Fri Apr 15 15:55:08 UTC 2016

On Fri, Apr 15, 2016 at 4:24 PM, Peter Cock <p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com>
wrote:

> Hopefully we won't need to rewrite the git history again?
>
> If you want to fork this, rename the repository to your-username.github.io
> e.g. My fork is at peterjc.github.org and can be viewed online at
> http://peterjc.github.io
>
> Note you may get a warning email from GitHub pages saying the
> CNAME has been ignored (peterjc.github.io can't use the CNAME
> entry saying biopython.org because biopython.github.io already
> has it).
>
> Regards,
>
> Peter

There's several things we need to tweak listed here - please file more
issues or pull requests:

https://github.com/biopython/biopython.github.io/issues

FYI: Here's one of the warnings I got while updating peterjc.github.io

One way to side-step this might be to move all the biopython.org/wiki/
content to a GitHub Pages for a "wiki" project, much like how I moved
all the biopython.org/DIST/ content to a "DIST" project:

https://github.com/biopython/DIST

That would need a little work dealing with the "wiki/" prefix, but is it
worthwhile?

Peter