[Biopython-dev] Experimenting with migrating wiki to GitHub pages

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 11 16:15:34 UTC 2016

On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 4:49 PM, Markus Piotrowski
<Markus.Piotrowski at ruhr-uni-bochum.de> wrote:

>> I have put the logo into the header. Is someone around, who has a
>> transparent version of the logo?
>> I have made it transparent by using the "magic wand" tool of Photoshop,
>> but the result is not perfect. I will give it another try later.
>> The thin white glowing shadow may be removed, if we don't like it. That's
>> the recent version:
>>
>> http://markuspiotrowski.github.io/wiki/Biopython
>

> The Biopython logo is nicer now, and I have added the Twitter and GitHub
> logo to the footer.
>
> http://markuspiotrowski.github.io/wiki/Biopython
> or:
> http://markuspiotrowski.github.io
>
> Be aware that I only worked on the style things, some links don't work from
> my respository and some links may already be outdated.
>
> Markus

Thanks Markus,

This looks good - and it is reassuringly straightforward to switch the
theme now that the content is converted (and mostly looks fine).

I agree the edge of the black background logo looks a little rough -
I don't know what Leighton did for the Twitter background image
but that might be a better starting point?

https://twitter.com/biopython

Also code syntax colouring isn't working - but don't spend long on that:

http://markuspiotrowski.github.io/wiki/SeqIO

Currently I'm trying the hyde theme out, which since it has a sidebar
is a bit more like the old MediaWiki layout, e.g.

http://biopython.github.io/wiki/SeqIO

Do you know enough CSS to get the Biopython logo into the sidebar?

Do you have any ideas for embedding an RSS/Atom news feed?

https://github.com/biopython/biopython.github.io/issues/4

Regardless of which theme we end up picking, I think we should
be able to switch to the GitHub pages site shortly - its much better
than no website, even if the downloads remain offline a bit longer.

Peter

P.S. I did find and fix a minor glitch with some of the cookbook
entries: https://github.com/biopython/biopython.github.io/issues/5