[Biopython-dev] conda install and/or wheels for Windows(and other platforms?)

PD Dr. Markus Piotrowski Markus.Piotrowski at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Fri Apr 8 06:40:13 UTC 2016

My thoughts regarding Anaconda:

- A standard Anaconda installation does already contain Biopython. So if
Anaconda is mentioned, it's probably better to show how to update Biopython.
- I don't know how often Anaconda updates its packages. Last time I had
the feeling (but this could be wrong) that it took some time until the
latest Biopython version was provided.
- People who are using Anaconda/Conda probably already know how to
install packages.

What about a phrasing like "Biopython is also part of the Anaconda
package, [here some words about Anaconda]....Be sure to update to the
most recent Biopython version with 'conda update Biopython'.

I'm only working on Windows computers, so I'm used to using different
update/installation methods. Not all packages have separate Windows
installers. Thus I think pip is great. But I'm also using Miniconda on
some computers.

Markus

Am 08.04.2016 um 05:55 schrieb Saket Choudhary:
> I proposed a minor change in the README to add instructions for
> Anaconda users: https://github.com/biopython/biopython/pull/804.
>
> For non-Anaconda Windows users, another (cleaner?) way would be to
> support binary wheels. Projects like numpy, scipy, sklearn have been
> supporting the binary wheels on pypi for Windows and lately for Linux
> [1,2]
>
> What do people think about moving to binary wheels for pip?
>
> [1] https://github.com/numpy/numpy/issues/5479
> [2] https://mail.scipy.org/pipermail/numpy-discussion/2016-April/075234.html
>

> Saket Choudhary

_________________________________