[Biopython-dev] [Biopython] Presenter for Biopython Project Update talk at BOSC 2016?

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Sat Apr 2 09:06:22 UTC 2016

On Fri, Apr 1, 2016 at 4:20 PM, Christian Brueffer
<christian at brueffer.de> wrote:

>> Authors: We've had some debates about this in the past. I'm OK
>> with listing just the presenter and the "Biopython Contributors",
>> or we again try to include anyone making major contributions to
>> the talk slides or to Biopython in the last year (i.e. the work being
>> shown in the update talk).
>
> I remember the author discussion from last time;  the current author
> line is last year's with my addition.  From a contributor point of view
> I think it would be very motivating to be included in an update talk
> like this for major contributions.  That leaves the question of how to
> measure major contribution :-)  Stuff that made it into the NEWS file?

That seems fair and roughly what I was thinking, if we don't go for
the simple "named presenter and un-named contributors" route.
You're right that where to draw the line is going to be hard - but
improving recognition of contributors is why we started the policy
of listing everyone for each release announcement and the NEWS
file.

Note that the plan would be for the slides to go up on the BOSC
F1000 Research Channel which puts each author in the meta
data f1000research.com/channels/BOSC

Using the NEWS file to determine major contributions is a good
idea, but so far that rarely links any new feature to a person
explicitly (GSoC being the most obvious exception). We could
try to do that in future if people feel it would be a good thing in
general.

Thanks,