[Biopython-dev] Help needed: Windows installers for Python 3.5

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 26 15:54:51 UTC 2015

On Mon, Oct 26, 2015 at 3:44 PM, Peter Cock <p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Continuing the Windows installer .exe vs .msi discussion,
> I was reminded on Twitter that we don't have either for
> Windows users running Python 3.5 yet.
>
> https://twitter.com/FranjoIvankovic/status/658654973128024064
> https://twitter.com/Biopython/status/658667763729342464
>
> Python 3.5 does not support Windows XP, which is past
> the Microsoft end of life. My own Windows XP machine
> is essentially only still in use for building the Biopython
> installers and as a buildbot slave for testing.
>
> We need someone with a more recent Windows machine
> and all the relevant compilers setup to volunteer to build
> an installer for Python 3.5 (and ideally the older versions
> too).
>
> Ben or Tiago - this this something you could tackle?

According to https://docs.python.org/devguide/setup.html
you would need MSVC 2015 for building extensions for
use with Python 3.5 (probably mingw32 can be used too).

(Also MSCV 2010 for Python 3.3 and 3.4 but that is less
urgent.)

As some point I do hope to get a more recent Windows
machine for development etc, ideally as a VM, and then
retire my old WinXP machine (I'm sure our IT department
would like to get rid of it too), but  that isn't going to happen
immediately.