[Biopython-dev] Updating Biopython requirements wording to recommend Python 3

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 6 16:34:52 UTC 2015

On Tue, Oct 6, 2015 at 5:14 PM, Tiago Rodrigues Antao <tra at popgen.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Oct 2015 11:55:37 +0100
> Peter Cock <p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Out of interest, for those of you on the biopython-dev list, what
>> is your current default or main Python version/implementation?
>> I'm wondering what the split is amongst our main contributors.
>
> Anaconda Python 3.5 (with Jupyter most of the time)

Yay, Python 3.5 :)

> In a similar note, is anyone using Jython?

Good question - I only use it for testing.

> I have the suspicion that I
> (indirectly) account for 99%+ users on Jython (via Lositan and Mcheza).
> If there is a deprecation on Jython (which I think it would make
> sense), I would handle my side...
>
> Tiago

Biopython as a whole has already dropped Python 2.5 and
thus Jython 2.5 support.

Have most of your Lositan and Mcheza users moved on
from Jython 2.5 to Jython 2.7 now?

Meanwhile Jython 2.7 aims to implement Python 2.7, so dropping
Python 2.6 support shouldn't directly impact this.