[Biopython-dev] Updating Biopython requirements wording to recommend Python 3

Vincent Davis vincent at vincentdavis.net
Mon Oct 5 17:45:33 UTC 2015

On Mon, Oct 5, 2015 at 10:29 AM, Peter Cock <p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com>
wrote:

> I expect plenty of Biopython users will still want to use Python 2.7
> for some time yet. Some time later on, a maintenance fork of
> Biopython just for Python 2.7 might make sense if there is interest
> in continuing that even after we drop Python 2.7 for new features.

​

README Proposal​

*We currently recommend using Python 3.5 from http://www.python.org
<http://www.python.org/>​.​​Python ​2.7 ​support continues in the same code
base as 3.5. In the future (2016) development for Python 2.7 may be forked
from the main Biopython development branch and receive primarily bug fix
support until 2020 inline with Python 2.7 support.*
*​Python 2.6 support will be declared obsolete​ in the next release (1.66​)
​of Biopython and ​​​deprecated in (1.67). ​*

Vincent Davis
720-301-3003