[Biopython-dev] Updating Biopython requirements wording to recommend Python 3

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 5 14:40:40 UTC 2015

On Mon, Oct 5, 2015 at 2:04 PM, Chris Mitchell <chris.mit7 at gmail.com> wrote:
> If we're making python recommendations to people, they likely have little
> experience with Python at all. Given that, I'd say put them on python3 to
> avoid perpetuating all the technical debt in the python world, especially
> the scientific realm.

That's what I'm hoping for.

> Having a split between which python version Bioython
> runs better on to me reflects a deficiency in unit testing, and emphasizes
> the need to use something like tox for more robust testing across multiple
> environments.

Cross platform testing is already automated with TravisCI (Linux
covering major Python 2 and 3 versions and PyPy) and buildbot
(which also covers Windows, Mac and Jython).

There are however gaps in the functional test coverage - contributions
are most welcome. Some of these *may* well expose bits of Python 2
only code which will need minor revision to work on Python 3.