[Biopython-dev] Updating Biopython requirements wording to recommend Python 3

Markus Piotrowski Markus.Piotrowski at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Sun Oct 4 18:10:29 UTC 2015

I'm with Michiel; if we recommend using Python 3.5 this suggests that
Biopython is running better/is more thoroughly tested on Python 3 than
on Python 2. However, the opposite is true (or may be true).
Actually, it's not our job to nudge people towards Python 3, our
recommendations should be given with regard to Biopython stability.

Markus

Am 02.10.2015 um 14:56 schrieb Christian Brueffer:
> On 2015-10-02 11:11, Peter Cock wrote:
>> On Fri, Oct 2, 2015 at 2:14 AM, Michiel de Hoon <mjldehoon at yahoo.com>
>> wrote:
>>> Is there a reason that Biopython should recommend using Python 3
>>> (e.g. are there any modules that work with Python 3 but not with
>>> Python 2)?
>>> If not, I don't think we should make this recommendation.
>>> -Michiel
>>
>> If anything there could be some less well used corners of the code
>> which were written and work on Python 2, but still need tweaking
>> for Python 3. Hopefully not, but you never know.
>>
>> When I wrote "We currently recommend using Python 3.5 ..." I was
>> thinking of the wider Python ecosystem as a whole and long term.
>> Python 2 is going away, so for newcomers and new projects we
>> really should now encourage starting with Python 3.
>>
>> Did you like Eric's phrasing Michiel?:
>>
>> "We currently recommend using Python 3.5 from http://www.python.org.
>> Biopython will also work with earlier Python versions 3.4, 3.3, and the
>> legacy Python versions 2.7 and 2.6."
>>
>> We could swap "recommend" with "suggest" to make this less
>> forceful?
>>

> I like Eric's phrasing, and would stick with "recommend".  While I'm
> still mostly using Python 2.7, I think it's a good idea to start
> nudging people towards Python 3.
>
> Chris

_________________________________
Dr. Markus Piotrowski