[Biopython-dev] Protecting master branch on GitHub?

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 11 17:19:23 UTC 2015

On Fri, Sep 4, 2015 at 11:20 AM, Peter Cock <p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 4, 2015 at 10:07 AM, Christian Brueffer
> <christian at brueffer.de> wrote:
>> On 2015-09-04 11:02, Peter Cock wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> GitHub have rolled out some interesting new functionality:
>>> https://github.com/blog/2051-protected-branches-and-required-status-checks
>>>
>>> The ability to protect the main branch should prevent any accidental
>>> rewriting of the history (from a forced push), which would cause
>>> widespread inconvenience now we have so many forks. I'd like to
>>> enable this if no one objects.
>>>
>>> The second new feature would disable the web-GUI merge button
>>> until our TravisCI tests have passed. I usually do the merges at
>>> the command line anyway (sometimes rebasing, often to add a
>>> note to the NEWS and CONTRIB files), but again these seems like
>>> a sensible precaution? What do people think?
>>>

>> 1. sounds great
>
> Good.

I've just turned on branch protection on the master branch.
I would have done it back in April but as I recall this new
option wasn't live yet - I was just reminded of this from
working on another project.

>> 2. sounds great in principle, however there are cases where Travis fails due
>> to reasons other than broken code (e.g., timeouts etc).  Is there a way to
>> say "I really really want this to go in despite Travis failing"?
>>
>> Chris
>
> I agree this feature is more contentious.
>
> TravisCI does occasionally fail due to timeouts, typically installing
> packages. A couple of our tests do have stochastic failures as well.
> I (and I presume anyone else with commit rights) can request a
> retest via the TravisCI web interface.
>
> In any case, I *presume* one could do the merge at the git command
> line and side-step the (disabled) big green merge button on GitHub.
>
> Peter

Right now I have not enabled this higher level of protection, the
text for which reads:

"Require status checks to pass before merging.
Choose which status checks must pass before branches can be
merged into master. When enabled, commits must first be pushed
to another branch, then merged or pushed directly to master after
status checks have passed."