[Biopython-dev] Biopython 1.66 release?

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 3 23:06:37 UTC 2015

Hi Ben,

Right now I may be the only regular/core contributor with
a Windows development machine (although it is not my
primary machine). Tiago has in the past has access to
assorted Windows machines.

Right now I am worried about my old WinXP machine
failing and leaving us with no regular running of the
unit tests under Windows, and a problem for the
next release.

If at least for the short term you would be willing to
take on building the Windows installers, and periodically
run the full test suite on Windows - that would be a
big help. Whomever manages the next release
(hopefully someone other than me next time) would
need to coordinate with you to make sure everything
was OK on the Windows side.

Separately now that Biopython 1.66 is out, I should
finally do something about replacing my WinXP
machine with something more modern... then I
might get to see first hand the user experience
differences of Windows installers as .exe vs .msi
etc - and be able to used Python 3.5 on Windows!

Also I'm hoping Tiago will be able to reestablish another
Windows buildslave for our buildbot nightly tests:
http://testing.open-bio.org/biopython/tgrid

As an aside, you've also started looking into AppVeyor
which looks like it could supplement TravisCI which is
only covering Linux (and potentially Mac OS X). I'm
very keen on this!

Peter