[Biopython-dev] Docker containers

Tiago Antao tra at popgen.net
Mon Mar 30 11:20:40 UTC 2015

Dear all,

Before I port my containers to the project there are a few things that
you should be made aware of:

1. There are 4 containers x 2 versions (Python 2 and 3): empty (shell),
notebook, notebook with tutorial and buildbot. The buildbot one is
currently under maintenance, but I would expect all the others to work.

2. I am maintaining all these containers with a simple template system
on my repository (https://github.com/tiagoantao/my-containers). It is
clumsy, but does the work. I will probably port the script also to the
new main repo.

3. The containers themselves were my first attempt at doing docker
containers, so they are a bit naive. But they do work. A future plan
would be to use anaconda (well, miniconda) as a basis. Also force the
versions of all packages.

4. You can find instructions here:
http://fe.popgen.net/2015/03/docker-containers-for-biopython/ .

Comments and criticism appreciated.

When everyone is happy, I will put everything under the biopython repo.

Tiago