[Biopython-dev] 2 Possible latex errors in Tutorial docs

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Fri Dec 11 15:38:50 UTC 2015

On Thu, Dec 10, 2015 at 4:06 AM, Vincent Davis <vincent at vincentdavis.net> wrote:
> I know almost zero about latex, I am using Pandoc to convert tutorial docs
> to notebooks and I get an error on these two documents. Not sure if there is
> actually something wrong with the documents but I thought I would let you
> know.
>
> $ pandoc -s chapter_appendix.tex -o chapter_cookbook.text
> pandoc:
> Error at "source" (line 191, column 5):
> unexpected "{"
> expecting letter or lf new-line
> \end{document}
>     ^

Good point - the chapters are not meant to be self contained LaTeX,
only the main Tutorial.tex should have the begin/end document lines:

https://github.com/biopython/biopython/commit/ebce282379e930f97289b40ca6cec426146e1999

> $ pandoc -s chapter_graphics.tex -o chapter_cookbook.textpandoc:
> Error at "source" (line 870, column 1):
> unexpected "%"
> expecting lf new-line, "{" or "\\"
> %\href{http://bioinf.scri.ac.uk/lp/downloads/programs/genomediagram/userguide.pdf}
> ^

Probably a bug in pandoc due to the placement of a comment line
in the middle of a set of arguments to the \href command, might be
worth confirming that and reporting to pandoc?

In the meantime, I removed the problematic line - we're unlikely to
be able to get that old page resurrected.

https://github.com/biopython/biopython/commit/24b00b33667d84ecac1dffc8090e3bd441976717

Thanks,